[Cialug] speedtest-cli lies!!!

Andrew Denner linux-list at upeke.com
Thu Aug 20 06:40:50 UTC 2020

Also on the project's GitHub page they call out:

There is the potential for this tool to report results inconsistent with
Speedtest.net. There are several concepts to be aware of that factor into
the potential inconsistency:

   1. Speedtest.net has migrated to using pure socket tests instead of HTTP
      based tests
      2. This application is written in Python
      3. Different versions of Python will execute certain parts of the
      code faster than others
      4. CPU and Memory capacity and speed will play a large part in
      inconsistency between Speedtest.net and even other machines on the same
      network

I would be hesitant to trust any of it's results for making decisions with.
A possible alternative (but appears to not be free as in libre) is the
speedtest.net cli binary https://www.speedtest.net/apps/cli