[Cialug] Raspberry Pi UI Automation

Brett Neese brneese at brneese.com
Mon Aug 17 15:46:50 UTC 2020

Hello all,

I have a Raspberry Pi connected to a pico projector in my kitchen, creating
a smart display of sorts. Currently I’m running a web-based smart display
slideshow thing (DakBoard), YouTube Music, and Solarium in different
windows, and I alt-tab between them manually when I want.

I would like, every night, for my Pi to automatically switch to Solarium
from whatever is currently the active window — creating a virtual window
onto the night sky — and switch back to the slideshow every morning. In
addition, it would be nice to be able to do more advanced UI scripting if
necessary.

I know if this were non-graphical, I’d just run a CRON job that launches a
bash script, and if this were Windows I’d use AutoHotKey or Automator on
OSX, but I’m not sure if there’s anything similar for UI automation with
Debian.

Thoughts? Bonus points if I can schedule it from Home Assistant (
https://homeassistant.io), which powers all my smart thingies and home
automations.

Brett

--