[Cialug] Performance recording

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Aug 3 21:19:42 UTC 2020

If you've never tried Prometheus out it's worth a look. It excels at
recording fine-grained performance data, especially if you can instrument
the service you're trying to observe. Many open-source projects are already
capable of producing data for Prometheus and it's not terribly difficult to
do the same for your own code.

I believe that Nagios (and forks/derivatives) still suffers from having to
do a fork/exec every time it wants to do a check. I could be wrong but
that's why I gave up on Nagios et. al. a long time ago. Does it still use
RRD for recording time series data? RRD was pretty inflexible in terms of
querying and horrible at maintaining long-term data.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 9:57 AM David Champion <dchamp1337 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nagios and a myriad of other similar tools will graph this out for you, and
> can be set up to send you alerts if there's a problem.
>
> -dc
>

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 9:50 AM Kevin Schaefer <
> kevin.l.schaefer1394 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've used Prometheus (and Grafana for visualizing) this type of
> > information. Depending on what is generating the load, you could even
> have
> > that system add annotations to the graphs to indicate when different
> events
> > occur to make it easier to see how those affect the system you're
> > monitoring.
> >
> > Kevin
> > BTW - new to the list

Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.