[Cialug] April Meeting Reminder--Virtual Only

Hakan E. Duran ehakanduran at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 18:20:12 UTC 2020

Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. It was very helpful for me
and got me understand some aspects that I wasn't sure about before.

On 20/04/08 12:48AM, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

> I tested both internal and LDAP authentication and they worked without
> hitches. There's no way I'd leave something like this publically
> accessible. One thing about authentication, it's only for people that are
> creating/hosting chats. Once the chat has been created anyone that knows
> the link can join by default. The host can add a password that guests would
> need to join a chat.
>
> I'll probably stick with LDAP.

This is a good example of clarification. My initial impression was that
if authentication was enabled, each participant had to be a defined used
in the system, otherwise they wouldn't be able to join the meeting. After
your clarification I enabled internal authentication, since I didn't have
any LDAP setting up experience before and defined myself as a user. I
will be hosting meetings for my group and that should be adequate at the
moment.

For the record, I only launch jitsi container about 30 minutes before
our scheduled meeting, and that is when I also forward relevant ports
from my router to my server. After the meeting, all of these changes are
undone to prevent uninvited guests, if you know what I mean.

Thank you again and hope to see you all during this month's meeting.

Hakan