[Cialug] April Meeting Reminder--Virtual Only

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Apr 8 05:48:16 UTC 2020

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 10:12 PM Hakan E. Duran <ehakanduran at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have done the same on my home server and was able to host a meeting
> last weekend that included some participants from overseas countries. I
> did not set up the SIP or streaming/recording module

I set up the SIP bridge using voip.ms and eventually got it working. The
main problem was that I hadn't discovered the config regeneration issue so
I was fighting that plus I needed to experiment with the right SIP
settings. It worked for the short tests I tried. Even as cheap as voip.ms
is it still costs money so I probably won't keep SIP long term. Plus I
don't really need it for what I want to do with it (video conference with
friends and family).

I haven't tried streaming a chat to YouTube. I might try it out just to see
how it works but the kinds of chats I want this for (friends and family) I
wouldn't want to stream to YouTube. The same goes for recording.

One thing that would have been cool is using the transcription support.
Unfortunately that requires streaming all of the audio to Google and using
their cloud-based speech-to-text APIs. Kinda defeats the purpose of hosting
your own chat server, but if the LUG uses Jitsi Meet for meetings from now
on it could be worth it to make it easier for hearing impaired members to
benefit from the meetings.

The etherpad support is kind of cool. I'll probably leave that enabled
although I don't expect to use it a whole lot. I can see using it every now
and then, say if I want to video chat with family and we're planning a
family vacation or something.

and I did not
> enable authorization for participants.

I tested both internal and LDAP authentication and they worked without
hitches. There's no way I'd leave something like this publically
accessible. One thing about authentication, it's only for people that are
creating/hosting chats. Once the chat has been created anyone that knows
the link can join by default. The host can add a password that guests would
need to join a chat.

I'll probably stick with LDAP.

However, LetsEncrypt certificate
> support was enabled and allowed participants to join with their mobile
> devices without problem.

Yeah, the Let's Encrypt support worked well. Unfortunately it's limited to
the HTTP verification method. As far as I know you can't use the DNS
verification methods.

> It performed pretty well in my opinion without
> any major issues. One thing that we noticed was sound distortion and
> quality drain after about 60-70 minute mark.

I'd be curious to know if that's a browser problem or if the server has a
memory leak somewhere that's causing that.

> I confirm the oddity you
> reported, which was also stated/admitted on the github page.

Hah, figures that I'd miss the big bold "IMPORTANT" stamp in front of the
information on the GitHub page.

Overall, I liked it quite a bit.

Yeah, it's a decent alternative to using commercial offerings.