[Cialug] CentOS iso

Jonathan A. Kollasch jakllsch at kollasch.net
Wed May 29 01:11:21 UTC 2019

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 07:49:39PM -0500, L. V. Lammert wrote:
> I know the newer versions will dd to a thumb drive, .. but I need to
> rebuild a 5.11 server, and none of the tools I have will make a bootable
> thumb drive from a *DVD*.
>
> Has anyone found something that will actually run on Linux? Bunches of
> stuff for Windoze, but we don't have any bare metal Windoze.

If the DVD you have was capable of being booted from a HDD-like USB
flash drive (and not just a 2KiB-sector optical media via El Torito),
all you need to do is do a raw block copy from the optical media to
the USB media.

e.g.:
# dd iflag=direct oflag=direct if=/dev/cdrom of=/dev/sdd bs=1048576

But it's possible the image your DVD was mastered from doesn't support
HDD-style booting, especially given the age of CentOS 5.  In which case
you'll have to find a archived copy of the USB flash drive installer
image.

	Jonathan Kollasch