[Cialug] Amazon Prime & ARM

Rob Cook rdjcook at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 13:22:55 UTC 2019

1) This isn't a dedicated application;
 *Doesn't need to be, root it and install what you want on it. *
2) A Firestick is worthless for anything else;
 *Only if you choose for it to be, again rooting is your friend here. It's
no more difficult that rooting an Android phone*
3) You can't get a shell or browser on a Firestick.
 *Yes you can, Silk browser is supported on the Firestick. I'm sure there
is a shell app if you root, there is at the least, ADB*
4) The UI is crap.
 *Sure it might be but you'll get to watch your TV approximately 10mins
after unboxing and plugging it in, no BS, it just works. *

*Or you can setup a Pi figure out which OS you need, hope it has the
appropriate DRM requirements, install everything, inevitably jump through
all the hoops to get it to work. Somewhere between several hours and days
later you may or may not have something that works... or you spend $40.
Sometime the easy answer is the right one. *

*'nuf said?*