[Cialug] link aggregation help requested

E. Hakan Duran ehakanduran at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 04:42:58 UTC 2019

Thank you Dave for your reply. I actually changed the LACP rate from the default slow to fast today manually while troubleshooting this. I can easily go back to default settings since I saved the config file; however I know it will not be a solution to my problem. The other parameter I manually modified from the automatically chosen Network Manager settings was the transmit hash policy, which was changed to 2+3 from 0 if I recall correctly.

Perhaps I get this wrong. I thought that by making a bond, one would effectively increase the bandwidth of the connection, which would translate to higher data transfer such as faster file transfers, etc. Is this perception accurate? Does  layer 3 hashing enable faster data transfer then? How can I figure whether my devices offer layer 3 hashing or not? The switch has a setting to modify load balance algorithm which is set at MAC address at the moment, but can be changed to IP/MAC address if desired. Does this have the potential to achieve the faster data transfer goal?

I am in the process of upgrading the firmware and will report if it causes any noticable change in behavior.

Thanks very much in advance and apologies for some probably basic/silly questions. I don't have a technical background and so computing more as a hobbyist.

Hakan