[Cialug] Android/Printer Setup

Todd Pierce toddcpierce at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 01:58:39 UTC 2019

Bingo,

Between all of the documentation, quick help and, well, filtering out the
iies therein, I figured it out.

Since the printer has no display, the way to make it discoverable was this
weird series of pressing unrelated buttons and waiting for LEDs to flash
and pressing more buttons.  Part of the setup was even unplugging the
printer (and after ten minutes) restarting it to get past a firmware bug of
some kind.

Whew.

Thanks for all the help guys!  My client (also a friend) may even buy me a
drink tonight!

-Todd

On Saturday, March 23, 2019, Tim Wilson <tim_linux at wilson-home.com> wrote:
> I found a quick start guide for that printer. Maybe this will help.
> http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/4/0300019334/03/MG3600_GS_U2a-1_V4.pdf
> Make sure the printer and Android device are both on the same network and
you should be good to go.
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 8:56 PM Jared Brees <fromj2sitsme at msn.com> wrote:
>>
>> Some printers have "ad-hoc" mode I think, where you could use the Wi-Fi
link directly between the printer and the phone, but in generally, they're
"infrastructure", wherein they connect to the AP just like the phone does,
and they talk "through" the AP.

>> The manuals I found briefly made it appear the printer doesn't have a
touchscreen? If it does, usually you can configure it there. If not, you
may need to plug in via USB and use software to set the network settings.

>> ________________________________

If
>> so, it should just be a matter of connecting the printer to that same
SSID.

>> > Has it been confirmed Wi-Fi is enabled via the printer's front-panel
UI?

>> > One last thing - what is meant by "printer undetected by wifi"? How are
>> you trying to detect it, on what network, etc.

Canon
>> > Pixma 3620 has wifi capability, and yes, Canon has perfectly fine
Android