[Cialug] link aggregation help requested

Hakan E. Duran ehakanduran at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 01:36:27 UTC 2019

Dear all,

This may be a stupid oversight as far as I know, but I could not solve
it myself without some help for several months now and decided to ask
here.

I have a workstation that I am trying to set up link aggregation using
the two available on-board ethernet interfaces (motherboard is Asus
Z10PE-D8WS if matters). I was able to set up the bond using the
nm-connection-editor in linux (manjaro flavor) and also set up the LAG
on the Cisco managed switch I have (SG300-28, please see attached). The
workstation is the LAG2 whereas LAG1 and 2 are 2 NAS units. As you may
see on the attached image, LAG2 seems to have a stand by member on port
24, instead of having 2 active members like the NASes. I cannot figure
out why one of the ethernet connections is assigned a stanby member
status. I pasted the output of the command "sudo cat /proc/net/bonding
/bond0" below, I am unable to recognize a major problem there. The Cisco
switch documentation states that this would happen when there is a
hardware limitation in the connected device for building the aggregare
(also see attached), but I am not sure if there would be any such
limitation since this is a server main board, and also I don't want to
reach that conclusion before ruling out the possibility that I am
missing something. I can confirm that the current bond benchmarks are
not superior to a single ethernet connection in terms of speed at this
point of time (about 40-60 MBps for file transfer over Gigabit ethernet
connection).

Your pointers will be very much appreciated.

Hakan

sudo cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0
Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.7.1 (April 27, 2011)

Bonding Mode: IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation
Transmit Hash Policy: layer2+3 (2)
MII Status: up
MII Polling Interval (ms): 100
Up Delay (ms): 0
Down Delay (ms): 0

802.3ad info
LACP rate: fast
Min links: 0
Aggregator selection policy (ad_select): stable
System priority: 65535
System MAC address: fa:aa:91:6b:bc:d2
Active Aggregator Info:
	Aggregator ID: 1