[Cialug] 2FA

Jared Brees fromj2sitsme at msn.com
Wed Mar 13 16:11:56 UTC 2019

Pretty much all 2FA apps support TOTP. The difference is what they add on top. Google Authenticator is pretty bare-bones... nothing but TOTP as far as I can tell. Microsoft's supports TOTP, or a "push" that you just say yes/no. Authy supports backups and sync. Duo supports all kinds of integrations, including push notifications, etc. Also most sites claim to have different QR codes for Google/Microsoft/etc or Android/iOS, but if you actually compare the data in the QR codes, it's effectively all the same. Basically a string of "otpauth://totp/X?secret=Y&issuer=Z", where X is the username/email, Y is the base32 TOTP secret/seed, and Z is the name of the company/site.