[Cialug] Pi 4

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Jun 24 18:53:16 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 11:36 AM Will <staticphantom at gmail.com> wrote:

> Newark/element 14 are selling them. I can't tell I get my hands on them but
> I am hoping the pi foundation didn't screw another board. The pi 3 was
> restricted to 32bit operation because the binary blobs were compiled for 32
> bit armv7 with armv8 extensions enabled. I am curious if we will finally
> see a pi with a kernel with native 64bit builds. Until then, I'm sticking
> with odroid C2's as my goto boards for headless use.

The Pi 3 hardware is certainly not limited to 64 bits, at least as long as
you are willing to use a distribution other than Raspbian. Fedora 30 works
great on several of my Raspberry Pi 3's in 64 bit mode. I even have the Pi
Foundation 7" display working (display only, touchscreen isn't quite there
yet).

Raspbian is limited to 32 bits because the Pi Foundation doesn't want to
commit the engineering resources to delivering 64 bit support. I have the
unfortunate feeling that the same is going to happen with the Pi 4, even
though the version with 4GiB RAM could certainly benefit from it.

--
Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.