[Cialug] Azure VPN

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Jul 10 16:27:26 UTC 2019

I didn't work directly with setting up the VPN at $DAYJOB but I think it's
just a IPSec VPN so it shouldn't be a problem setting up. Well at least no
more trouble than any other IPSec VPN, I've never liked IPSec because it's
always been a pain to set up. It's a "site-to-site" VPN so it's going to
work differently than if you are used to various OpenVPN services. You
don't connect to it from individual host systems (Linux or otherwise),
you'd set up the VPN on the local firewall.

Personally, I'd question if you really needed the Azure VPN at all. All
management traffic is already HTTPS encrypted. I think if you want to set
up Active Directory to synchronize between local domain controllers and
domain controllers in the cloud you'd need it but otherwise I can't think
of why you'd need it.

The Azure management portal and Azure CLI work perfectly from
Linux/Firefox, it's really sort of surprising how hard Microsoft is working
to make Azure accessible to Linux.

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 10:30 AM L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> I seem to recall some folks using Azure here on the list, .. we are
> starting a project for a client that is moving their workloads there, but
> I can't find anything concrete on connecting to their VPN from Linux.
>
> Found some notes about OpenSWAN, but nothing concrete. Anyone working in
> Azure *from* Linux HW?
>
>         TIA!
>
>         Lee

Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.