[Cialug] Homebrew

jim kraai jimgkraai at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 19:18:40 UTC 2019

how about a package manager manager!!!  that automagically chooses the
best...

ugh, just can't fully commit to the joke

makes me think of https://xkcd.com/927/ but replace "standards" with
"package managers"

Kraai's (n+1) observation:  Every interestingly complex, useful X becomes
overcomplicated and entrenched and sucks after Y years.

X, Y
package manager, 7
development methodology, 15
programming language, 10

the "sucks" tension is relieved by a (biological evolution-like) radiation
of species, followed by a winnowing to a small number of alternatives that
will eventually suck

let's all celebrate the rich tapestry this process creates