[Cialug] Meetup

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Tue Jan 8 20:02:35 UTC 2019

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, David Champion wrote:

> What are you looking for? If you want to post events for random people
> tofind, you need to use something like Meetup that has some marketshare.

None of the groups I am involved with have ever gotten an attendee from
Meetup, and their recent cost increase ($360/yr) to show sponsor logos
means we can no longer solicit sponsors to assit in defarying costs (it
would be impossible to get enough FROM sponsors to pay Meetup AND the
group, and also pretty much totally irresponsible)i.

In general, Meetup has gotten WAY too expensive for any benefit, and has
also proven useless in attracting participants for the groups I sponsor.

Over 90% of the "Members" in the six different Meetups I attend never make
a meeting anyway, and the remaining 10% know about the group without
Meetup.

> I know for our Makerspace public events Meetup is one of the more
> popularways that people find us, as well as from the various social
> mediaplatforms.

Of course, but those resources are totally focused on a single market; in
this case, Meetup is pretty much useless, so I am dropping them, as I only
have two as Organizer.

So, the plan is to replace Meetup with a simple website and mailing list,
but it would be nice to offer other functionality.

	Thanks!

	Lee