[Cialug] HTPC - Normal distro

Hakan E. Duran ehakanduran at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 23:45:55 UTC 2019

I have used an Intel NUC as a HTPC. I can get the model number if you
are interested. My experience with it was weird, I installed OpenELEC to
it, and although it had an ethernet connection to my LAN, network kept
randomly dying without any indication or warning. I thought it might be
a driver issue related with the network chip it had, but truly don't
know the exact cause. It became frustrating too quickly, I gave up.

I used it next as a contact/calendar server (FreeBSD and radicale)
afterwards, and experienced no network issues. Perhaps it was an
OpenELEC issue... However, the darn thing would not reboot as it should,
after any power outage. I had to physically be there, choosing the boot
menu and pointing the SSD drive for it to boot from its only hard drive.
And that was the problem with FreeBSD+Nook combination. I stopped using
it for this purpose after a while as well. It is now collecting dust on
shelf with its power off.

I may be unlucky or perhaps unable to troubleshoot effectively, but this
was my experience with my only NUC.

Thanks,

Hakan