[Cialug] HW, anyone?

Will staticphantom at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 19:32:37 UTC 2018

FYI, on odroids you can use a replaceable EMMC module. It works quite well.

As for the heat comment on my cluster, even the smallest amount of air flow
does wonders for those tiny heat sinks. That entire set up for boards,
storage (emmc + sd and not including hard drives), 5 port gigabit switch,
standoffs, power cables, and single 5 port 60 watt USB power supply was
less than $260. The kubernetes setup is a 1 master 3 slave setup where the
installation can be expanded quite easily. The reason I went with the
Odroid C2's is because 1) mainline kernel on them is quite nice, 2) they
stack stupidly easy 3) I wanted 64 bit ARM processors. While people can ask
why not just build in AWS, I like having having hardware I can watch
network traffic on it to prove a design is really crappy or not with
excessive network traffic (on top of the noise of etcd).... and as cool as
cloud can be... you can't take a picture and point to it.

-Will