[Cialug] Century link fiber

Don Ellis don.ellis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 19:38:00 UTC 2018

When Charter/Spectrum upgraded our network, I was tempted to get my own
modem, however, since I'm paying for the modem anyway, and they would be
responsible for maintenance/repairs/replacement, I elected to get their
modem.

There was an optional Router/WiFi unit at extra charge ($5/month). I found
a separate unit at MicroCenter. Comparing $5/month with buying my own with
a 3 year extended warranty, it looks like the separate piece is less
expensive in the first three years; any life after that is gravy. I think
the price with warranty was around $100-$120.

I have not been impressed with performance or features of ISP-provided
routers. In more than one instance, I have connected a separate router/WAP
to the unit provided by the ISP, whether modem or combo. If successful at
connecting the separate unit through the ISP's component, I get more
control over routing and usually a more stable WiFi connection, all with
more options. I haven't tried connecting to more recent versions of
ISP-provided combo units, but I have [misplace?] confidence that it can
still be done. You should be able to turn off WiFi and just use WiFi on the
aftermarket router.

--Don Ellis