[Cialug] The Complete CLI Command, According to This Guy

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 13:04:08 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 5:03 PM Adam Shannon <adamkshannon at gmail.com> wrote:

> > * flags -- don't use bare arguments
>
> So now we're all going to be using  'cat --file secrets.txt' ?

There's probably some useful exceptions one could make. If one were writing
the rules that everyone was going to follow, one might rather say "no bare
arguments where the meaning could in any way be unclear or confusing". And
any time there're two arguments, it *is* unclear and confusing.

Every time I use ln I check the help or man page before I do, just to make
sure I remember the order correctly. Every time! Is it "destination
link-name" or "link-name destination"? And ln (inexplicably) does not let
you flag which is which, so you have to get the order right. I tried to
rationalize it in a way that would help it stick in my mind, but that
didn't work. With cp and mv, for example, "copy this to there" makes sense
to me. But ln does it the reverse of how I think about it.

--
Todd