[Cialug] TIL About Repo RPMs

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 20:17:19 UTC 2018

You know what's kooky? I just installed a repo on a server I
inherited, using an RPM:

rpm -ivh https://repos.app.netuitive.com/rpm/noarch/netuitive-repo-1-0.2.noarch.rpm

Fine. It installed. Or rather, appeared to install. It did what it was
supposed to. It put the new repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d. But that's
a problem because:

# grep reposdir /etc/yum.conf
reposdir=/etc/yum/repos.d/

That RPM put the new repo file in a directory that ain't the reposdir
on my server. When I tried to install a package from that repo it said
no package available. It took me a minute to figure out why not.

What's kooky is why anyone would want to change the reposdir. What's
also kooky is, given that the option exists right there in the config
file, RPM wouldn't support letting an rpm package put its repo file
intelligently into the right reposdir.

Why would an RPM packager have to assume the correct directory to put
it into? Why couldn't he or she let the rpm program do the right thing
in that case?

Seems like a shortcoming.

--
Todd