[Cialug] SSH says: Permission denied (publickey).

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 14:55:02 UTC 2018

I have a couple of servers on AWS. I wanted to move one to a different
subnet in the same VPC, so I stopped the server, created an image from
it, then using that image launched a new server in a new subnet. The
resulting server is the same as it was, but with a new IP address.

However, I can't ssh to it. I can do 'ssh todd at old_ip' and it asks me
for my password and logs me in. But when I 'ssh todd at new_ip' it says
"Permission denied (publickey)".

I was able to get into the new server / new ip by using the default
user. So I looked at my user account on the old instance and the new
instance. There's nothing different. My ~/.ssh directory is empty on
both. /etc/ssh/sshd_config is exactly the same on both, right down to
the md5sum. And I'm obviously using the same ssh client for both from
my local workstation.

Here's sshd_config on the server:

 Protocol 2
 SyslogFacility AUTHPRIV
 PermitRootLogin no
 RSAAuthentication yes
 PubkeyAuthentication yes
 AuthorizedKeysFile    .ssh/authorized_keys
 PermitEmptyPasswords no
 PasswordAuthentication yes
 ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
 GSSAPICleanupCredentials yes
 UsePAM yes
 AcceptEnv LANG LC_CTYPE LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME LC_COLLATE LC_MONETARY LC_MESSAGES
 AcceptEnv LC_PAPER LC_NAME LC_ADDRESS LC_TELEPHONE LC_MEASUREMENT
 AcceptEnv LC_IDENTIFICATION LC_ALL LANGUAGE
 X11Forwarding no
 ClientAliveInterval 60
 UseDNS no
 Banner /etc/ssh/banner
 Subsystem    sftp    /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server

Anyone have a guess as to what's happening?

--
Todd