[Cialug] Bash or Terminal Output

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 13:54:41 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 11:43 AM, Kyle H <khamil8686 at gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you want to change? Curious, maybe we all can help.
>
> There may be an option to bash in config that you could insert functions,
> etc to do these special things you want

With respect to the terminal, I'd like some way to signal to it that I want
to lock scrolling, so if I then cat a file the contents go off the screen
bottom and I can begin scrolling down at my leisure, instead of catting,
then scrolling back up to the beginning. When there's a *lot* that dumps
out, it can be a pain to find the last prompt. This is a simple example, so
yes 'less' would work. I would like 'lock screen, scroll at leisure' to
work as well. And while we're on it, some key combo or click thing to jump
up and down from prompt to prompt. That'd be nice.

With respect to Bash, the idea this thread began with, first of all. Run a
command, it outputs, then some symbol or parameter that stood in for the
contents of the output of the last command. I want to, say, 'ls', and then
'grep blah ${variable} | another_command'. After the fact. Or run a
command, get output, return to prompt, and then use the keyboard to jump
between fields of the previous output, and when I hit Enter it enters
whatever field I was on onto the current command line. Something like
'yank'* but without having to specify it beforehand. *
https://github.com/mptre/yank

Also, HISTIGNORE should have a way of respecting a list of commands. If I
want to HISTIGNORE all uses of 'ls', and I run "ls; rm ./file", it
definitely should not ignore that. Either don't ignore it at all, or ignore
just the ls part, or something.

And I'd like history to go to syslog, be immutable, etc. That's not
impossible, of course. But it's certainly not the default. One would just
have to do the setup. It'd be nice to record the command line that was
entered, the directory it was run in, the user, the timestamp, the actual
command line run after alias expansion, parameter expansion, etc and so on.

--
Todd