[Cialug] Off topic: Mac repair?

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 17:53:09 UTC 2018

I'm a member at Area515 http://www.area515.org we do have equipment to do
that.

You will have to get trained on the equipment (for a small donation) and
learn how to do it yourself. If you're not a member you can come during
open house nights, Tuesdays.

We do have a "how to solder" class taught by me, on Saturday 2/3 at 2pm.
Will be covering simple through-hole soldering, not SMD. There has been
talk of doing an advanced SMD class but that hasn't materialized yet.

If you're not an expert at doing SMD repair and troubleshooting
motherboards, I'd be skeptical about replacing a SMD on a laptop
motherboard and coming out with a working unit when you're done. Often if
one component goes bad, it's caused by, or causes cascading issues in other
components.

I've done several laptop motherboard replacements myself on Dell and Lenovo
laptops, you can sometimes find inexpensive motherboards on ebay.
Personally, that's what I would try.

-dc