[Cialug] Success!

Dave Hala dave at 58ghz.net
Sun Dec 23 13:01:37 UTC 2018

I did get Centos 7 to with function correctly with VB  as a guest Vm.

Here's  the process:

Install VB 6.0 on a windows 10 host.
Create a new VM using the osboxes Centos 7  image
yum install kernel-headers, kernel-develop & gcc
reboot
yum update
reboot
install VB guest editions
reboot

Its looks like there are some issues with the VB guest additions with
Centos 7 for any version of VB < 5.1.30

Its a little painful getting started.  You couldn't see the mouse cursor
with the VM using the base image. Even with the mouse captured, it wouldn't
function correctly until the guest editions were installed.  I ended up
having to use the keyboard to navigate.   You might have better luck
starting with a fresh image rather than using a pre-made image.

Looks like I can stick with Centos for a while.  However, with Ubuntu there
was a lot less pain.  In the future I'm probably going to take a hard look
at Ubuntu LTS.  Its desktop functions, are clearly a couple of steps beyond
Centos.

I think still that Centos is probably superior on the server side. Ubuntu
LTS certainly is a contender, especially if you want to have a machine  for
development that use same platform that you run on. The advantage would be
that Ubuntu is less painful on the development side.

:) Dave
--
NIFCAP  -The Premier Client Intake System for Non-Profit Organizations.