[Cialug] World Wide Web Consortium Abandons Consensus, Standardizes DRM, EFF resigns

tony welder tony.wvoip at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 17:16:09 UTC 2017

A standards setting body is only good if developers and companies choose to
follow it. If no one follows it... the the standard just enjoys a slow...
painful death.

exhibit A:
https://www.w3.org/P3P/

They're just making themselves less relevant by doing this.  I'd be
surprised if Firefox chooses to implement the functionality required to
make this work. I'm sure IE will as they have a vested interested in doing
so.

At any rate, this is going to create even more differences between web
browsers and not less... which is part of the reason W3C even exists.

Cheers,
Tony

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 2:45 PM, Scott Yates <Scott at yatesframe.com> wrote:

> Ya, this is highly un-good.
>
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 2:33 PM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Holy packets, Batman. WTF?
> >
> > World Wide Web Consortium Abandons Consensus, Standardizes DRM, EFF
> resigns
> >
> > Statement by Cory Doctorow:
> >
> > "The Director decided to personally override every single objection
> raised
> > by the members, articulating several benefits that EME offered over the
> DRM
> > that HTML5 had made impossible. ... That rejection prompted the first
> > appeal against the Director in W3C history. ... So we'll keep fighting to
> > keep the web free and open. ... It is a tragedy that we will be doing
> that
> > without our friends at the W3C, and with the world believing that the
> > pioneers and creators of the web no longer care about these matters.
> > Effective today, EFF is resigning from the W3C."
> >
> > https://boingboing.net/2017/09/18/antifeatures-for-all.html
> >
> > --
> > Todd

~tony