[Cialug] Apple users BEWARE!!!

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Sep 20 20:23:05 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 2:15 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> This is the third one of these fake Apple account emails I have seen this
> month:

Only three? That seems low to me.

Of course, the "Verify Account" link will capture your credentials and,
> poof, your account is compromised.
>
> Be sure to warn anyone Apple users you know! It's easy to identify the
> fake emails, as they originate at a Google Mail server.

Don't count on these emails always originating from a Google server.
Staying ahead of spammers is a difficult and time-consuming affair. Warning
normal users about a specific detail like this is useless as tomorrow the
spammers will be using hacked Yahoo accounts.

Which is why a long long time ago I moved to GMail. The time I save not
having to deal with spam is well worth it. Plus I've never found an email
client that I like better than GMail. Everything else I've tried is stuck
in the 90's with IMAP and folders.

--
Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.