[Cialug] World Wide Web Consortium Abandons Consensus, Standardizes DRM, EFF resigns

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 19:33:51 UTC 2017

Holy packets, Batman. WTF?

World Wide Web Consortium Abandons Consensus, Standardizes DRM, EFF resigns

Statement by Cory Doctorow:

"The Director decided to personally override every single objection raised
by the members, articulating several benefits that EME offered over the DRM
that HTML5 had made impossible. ... That rejection prompted the first
appeal against the Director in W3C history. ... So we'll keep fighting to
keep the web free and open. ... It is a tragedy that we will be doing that
without our friends at the W3C, and with the world believing that the
pioneers and creators of the web no longer care about these matters.
Effective today, EFF is resigning from the W3C."

https://boingboing.net/2017/09/18/antifeatures-for-all.html

--
Todd