[Cialug] Yahoo & list email

Andrew Denner linux-list at upeke.com
Fri Sep 15 21:32:34 UTC 2017

Not having the full headers for the email it is hard to tell exactly what
is going on. One possible hint is that if it is from a yahoo sender, their
documentation linked to in that rejection notice says:

> Our DMARC policy proactively protects our users from email spam that
> mimics Yahoo users’ email addresses from other mail servers. This helps
> secure our users’ email identities from being used by unauthorized senders.
> It also interferes with some long-standing uses of identities that are
> authorized by the user but not verifiable.
> By publishing a “p=reject” record, Yahoo tells other DMARC compliant
> systems to reject mail from Yahoo users that isn’t genuinely originated
> from a Yahoo server. This affects only mail with Yahoo addresses on the
> From: line.
> [image: screenshot of an example with From line with a yahoo.com domain
> from a Yahoo server]

In the case of our listserve, you can see that in the eyes of the
receiving mail server cialug's mailing list is sending an SPF record that
it was sent from cialug-bounces at cialug.org from a permitted IP address.

Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of cialug-bounces at cialug.org
> designates 107.170.101.237 as permitted sender) client-ip=107.170.101.237;

tl;dr Email is hard, Yahoo's email even more so. There is a reason most
places pay Google, Microsoft et.al. to make the problem go away.