[Cialug] Slightly OT, .. T-Mobile & routing

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Fri Sep 8 20:47:25 UTC 2017

On 8 Sep 2017, at 13:04, L. V. Lammert wrote:

> Looking at using a hotspot for a set of remote cameras, wondering how
> to handle the incoming route; how stable is the IP assigned to a hotspot?
> What are the chances of it changing (assuming the device never powers off
> nor moves physicall)? Would it make sense to drop a Raspberry Pi behind it
> for DynDNS (or equilvalent)?

I haven’t checked T-Mobile, but as of 18 months ago both Verizon and ATT blocked incoming connections to cellular endpoints. I did get ATT to sell me something that allowed inbound connections, but that service was both more expensive and did not allow connections at 4G speeds.

You might consider tunneling out to avoid the need to connect directly to the cellular device; something as simple as an SSH tunnel would let you use another host as a proxy, as would any VPN system. That would let you to make your devices available at a known address (that of the proxy host) regardless of their local network configuration.

	Zach