[Cialug] Mediacom - not Linux related

Kevin Smith kevin at linuxsmith.com
Mon Sep 4 12:24:45 UTC 2017

Here's one I'm a bit confused by. So far Mediacom isn't much help; they say
what I describe is impossible. I'm wondering what the thoughts are here?

Mother got Mediacom, a month later got a DMCA notice that said she'd
downloaded Game of Thrones. She didn't of course. They said just change the
WiFi password. Fine done, but the notices keep coming. I looked at that's
on her network (scanned from my own device) before and after changing the
password. The only devices connected by WiFi are my phone and hers.
Hardwired shows the modem, a Tivo device (which I assume is her DVR
service) and then six other devices. Those six come and go. One reports
being a TP-Link device, another a Samsung 46" TV, the others can't be
identified. Her TVs aren't on the network. Mediacom says this is not
normal. When I tell the we have zero devices wired in they say it's
impossible.

Mediacom can't answer these questions.
1. How many devices are supposed to show when you have their Xtreme
service? Oddly, Mediacom can't answer this question.
2. Is it possible to somehow get on the local network by taping into the
cable? Seem unlikely to me.