[Cialug] Need help automating log capture/reboot

Justin Richeson neomatrixjr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 17:58:30 UTC 2017

I have a certain...popular SBC. <cough>Rasberry Pi 2<cough>
It has an issue where after an extended uptime the USB Wifi stick attached
via USB Hub will...stop.  That's the best description I have right now.
The activity light will go solid instead of blink, and it'll loose
connection to my network.  Also, attempted reboots at this point will have
a long-timeout wait in the shutdown sequence stating "A stop job is running
for Connman connection service (XXs/YYs)" (numbers for x's and y's there...)

Thus far I haven't had time to sit in front of the TV with the tiny
keyboard I have for it and try to dig through logs to find the issue...and
I can't set back and SSH in....because no network.  What I'd like to do is
find a way to automate regular connectivity tests.  If it finds it can't
connect for > 5-10 minutes, copy all logs to a backup/snapshot & reboot.
Once connectivity is up send the logs to a network share for later analysis.

I thought I'd ask here before spending hours re-inventing the wheel,
because I'm guessing this or something like it has been done before.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

--Justin