[Cialug] Drive recovery

Nick Copeland nick.s.copeland at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 23:13:11 UTC 2017

http://filesaversdatarecovery.com/locations/iowa/data-recovery-in-des-moines-ia.html
I've never tried these folks but I've had them in mind for a while in the
event that I need the service.

Does your friend have SSD or HDD?

Mechanical-Magnetic hard drives are air-tight, having recovered data off
drives submerged in 6 inches of water for hours, so after allowing the
moisture to go away, try it and if it doesn't work replace the logic board
and that might get it to a working state for recovery. Has anyone checked
to see if it even got wet? It's usually on the other side of the main
board.

I think Solid State Drives are much more susceptible to data loss due to
water damage and SSD placement varies from model to model For example:
Apple products use bare SSD boards parallel to the main board and others
may use encased 2.5 inch SSDs under the mainboard.

nsc