[Cialug] SANs/NASes

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu May 18 15:57:28 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 10:20 AM, <khamil8686 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I’m looking into building my own for a fun project. I am checking into
> parts, but thinking of creating a nas out of an old pc box and mod it to
> hold lots of 1Tb+ hard drives if there isn’t room enough already. Then add
> a raid card, make sure the NIC is gigabit, and I was thinking maybe I could
> add a fibre channel card to make it more like a real san if the cards
> exist? 😊

I wouldn't bother with Fibre Channel, unless you're looking to get a job in
a large enterprise. Save that cash for a 10G NIC and switch (which are
getting more affordable daily) as the major limiter of NAS performance is
the network.

Technologies like iSCSI, NFS, etc. is what I'd be looking at, plus things
like OpenStack Cinder and Swift.

--
Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.