[Cialug] 4TB NAS Drives?

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Jun 21 20:53:30 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 7:46 AM, Paul Gray <gray at cs.uni.edu> wrote:

> On 06/20/2017 17:27, Dave Weis wrote:
>
>> What's the current thought on specific models for a 4TB SATA drive to put
>> in a 4 disk synology? I don't need crazy speed and won't be running vm's
>> against them.
>>

> Today, with code 5508762, you can get the Toshiba 4TB 7200RPM NAS drive
> for $119 ($20 off), limit 1.
>
> http://www.frys.com/product/9204489?site=80premail062117
>
> I don't own this drive, just saw it as a synchronicity that the topic was
> brought up yesterday, and this dropped in my inbox today.

Nice! While I've been satisfied with the WD Reds, the fact that they are
only 5400RPM is kinda annoying. Plus even though I bought my drives far
enough apart that none of them should be from the same batch it would
probably be a good idea to mix up manufacturers a bit (I have a few Seagate
3TB drives in my NAS as well).

Plus Fry's has a free shipping option if you're not in a hurry (10 days or
so) and they're not charging Iowa sales tax (yet).

--
Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.