[Cialug] dd Windoze partition

khamil8686 at gmail.com khamil8686 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 16:53:45 UTC 2017

I have used dd to move around a Windows partition before and it worked flawlessly. I just keep it around for those programs that are WInblows only. This time, I have Windows as a primary partition but I wanted to get UEFI boot working to learn about it. So I dd backed up my 100Gb Winblows partition and installed OpenSUSE in UEFI mode and took up the entire drive. I want to resize my physical/volume group since my logical volumes combined don’t take up the entire drive. This leaves 75Gb for a 100Gb Winblows partition. Think if I dd restore winblows to the last partition on my drive after resizing the pv and use a windows tool to repair the partition that I would have a working winblows install once I reinstalled uefi grub?

Damn… just remembered that I would also have to break up the /dev/sda3 partition after resizing my pv so I can create /dev/sda4… I believe I have done this before, and it will keep the partition signatures intact as long as you specify the exact same blocks…

Maybe I should just re-install opensuse and make it smaller for my emergency winblows?

Thoughts, questions, suggestions, comments, rants, insults, throwing rotten fruit anyone?
Ty, Kyle