[Cialug] Decent diy nas box

Theron Conrey theron at conrey.org
Fri Jul 21 21:15:19 UTC 2017

There's a lot to understand and this is why I tend to NOT push folks
towards the FreeNAS site for info on ZFS. Understanding it outside of a
"appliance" is pretty critical if you're running it with actual load. A
local guy, Matt Breitbach, put together a great site for getting started
with ZFS. (zfsbuild.com) It's a good resource to better understand some of
the pieces if you're feeling lost :)  To your question though.... Having
built out quite a few systems for customers back in the day, I don't recall
ever building a ZFS box with less than 2g of RAM though. Regular commentary
about ECC is better, blah blah blah.