[Cialug] Arch Wiki (was: Decent diy nas box -- Woot)

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Fri Jul 21 18:23:26 UTC 2017

For any Linux newbies or anyone who ever needs to go beyond the default configuration options provided by your choice of user-friendly distro, the Arch Wiki may be the most complete and user-friendly collection of information available to the community.  I have used it to [properly] configure bumblebee for a laptop with an Intel on-chip GPU and an additional Nvidia Quadro discrete GPU so that I could get the low battery usage of the Intel GPU while being able to switch to the Nvidia GPU for high performance in 3D gaming.

Where the Arch Wiki is lacking, the Arch Linux forums generally have additional how-to and troubleshooting information.

Arch is a great distro for getting dirty in the setup and configuration of a systemd-based Linux distro.  What you learn from installing and configuring Arch Linux a couple of times will give you an idea of the work put into setting up a custom distro.  It also teaches you where everything in the average Linux goes, and what you need to know to track down configuration problems if you ever have trouble in the future.  If you are at the point where you are fairly comfortable getting Ubuntu up and running, and you have learned how to use cat, man, grep, vi or nano,  and sudo, it is time for you to provision a small virtual machine or drive partition to practice setting up Arch into a system that is configured the way you would want your Linux PC set up for general use.

Even if you don't want to practice with Arch Linux, their wiki and forums have an unmatched collection of valuable Linux information that is applicable to the whole Linux community.

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my android device.