[Cialug] Distros with up-to-date C++ support

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Sun Jan 29 06:52:03 CST 2017

The one distro that is always as up-to-date as you would ever want to be is Arch... they are so up-to-date that they have deprecated i686 support in favor of an x86_64-only distro going forward (community support of i686 should pick up where the core Arch team is leavjng off, though).  Unfortunately, most people who are interested in Linux Mint are looking for something with a lot less work and hassle than Arch.

Arch is a rolling release distro, whereby after running pacman (Arch's package management tool) you should have the most recent (upstream) stable version of every software package installed on your system.  The caveat is that you have to manually install and configure everything you want from the ground up (although many packages come with a sane configuration to start off, things like openVPN or nginx would require that you edit the configs before you had anything useful).

I will say that I love Arch, but at the same time I hate setting it up.  It can take me up to three days to get everything running the way I want if I choose to go with a GUI and I want to play video games... especially on my laptop, where I have to set up bumblebee to switch between the Intel on-chip GPU and the discrete Nvidia GPU.  I think it took me a week the first time I set it up, but once you've done it one time you can usually do it much faster a second time.  It really is all about learning how to use the Arch wiki and forums to get the info you need.  The Arch wiki is an amazing resource that gives you step by step instructions for many use cases that the Ubuntu forums simply don't cover.  I have actually used the Arch wiki to properly install and configure software on other distros (such as bumblebee on Fedora).

I would recommend that everyone take a stab at installing Arch on a PC you don't use for work or important stuff at home at least one time.  It teaches you how Linux really works at its core.  I had thought that I had a pretty good handle on Linux, but I learned so much from installing all the things I wanted for a desktop setup that Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint had always hidden from me in the past.

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my android device.