[Cialug] Good File Compression Format For The Muggles?

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 13:35:52 CST 2017

I'm curious. What file compression formats do you have good luck with
sending to people? I know that a client running Windows would be almost
certainly sure to be able to open a Windows-compressed zip file. But I
sometimes need better compression than that. When I send gzip zipped files
(.tar.gz) I usually get back "my app says your file is corrupted, dude".
bzip2 isn't much better than gzip. What else? 7zip? Avoid non-default
options?

By the way, I found this informative page:
https://blogs.reucon.com/srt/compression-gzip-vs-bzip2-vs-7-zip-8296/

=== Method...Size...Ratio...CompSpeed...DecompSpeed
=== gzip 89MB 54% 0m13s 0m05s
=== bzip2 81MB 49% 1m30s 0m20s
=== 7-zip 61MB 37% 1m48s 0m11s

--