[Cialug] git issue - changing username on central repo

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Jan 18 17:18:57 CST 2017

I know there are some git folks here, .. has anyone ever tried to setup a
central repository for mulitple users? I could not get normal group
permissions to work, so I change owner to a different user (_svn in this
case) and then tried to setup working directories.

ssh to the repo server as that user works just fine, .. and the repo is
owned by the user, .. yet every time I create a repo and try to pull a
new copy, it chokes:

<new directory>
<git init>
<git remote add main _svn@<central_server>:/u/SCM/dbtcp>

-------------------

$ git fetch main
fatal: '/u/SCM/dbtcp' does not appear to be a git repository

and the repository exists.

-------------------

The repo seems to be configured properly:

[remote "main"]
	url = _svn at apollo:/u/SCM/dbctp/
	fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/main/*

AND, here's the kicker, IT WORKS JUST FINE IF THE REPO WAS ALREADY
EXISTING (I added the _svn user after changing the owner on the central
repo)!

<different home directory>
<repo rl = _svn at apollo:/u/SCM/dbctp/ >
$ git pull
Already up-to-date.

What could possibly cause a new working directory to behave differently
than one existing?

	Lee