[Cialug] Mediacom DesMoines

Don Cady doncady at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 11:49:53 CST 2017

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 7:38 AM, Paul Gray <gray at cs.uni.edu> wrote:

> You omitted the abysmal latency aspect found on their business service.
>
> Abysmal.
>
> -Paul

The good news is it will improve. The bad news is it will take a while.
Thankfully, Docsis 3.1 requires a form of AQM to mitigate poor latency and
other bufferbloat problems. And AFAIK, they're requiring Docsis 3.1 for
their new 500mb and 1gb service. The greenlight-ing for their 1Gig service
allows staff to replace equipment as needed to serve those tiers.
However, we don't know how the algorithm chosen will scale or how long it
will take to replace the old equipment.
Personally, I'd like a Docsis 3.1 modem and keep my current service
level/tier. That would probably cut down on a quarter of my frustration.
But so far they've only anointed one model, only for those top two tiers,
and you must rent it (and for double the normal fee).

Separately, I wonder when AQM improvements will be similarly replicated in
the Dsl space and would love to hear from anyone in the know.

Don