[Cialug] Crashplan replacement

Mike Hughes mike at visionary.com
Thu Aug 24 13:27:02 UTC 2017

> I'll be in the same boat too. I'd prefer to do something more open-source
> this time around.
>
> -dc

I introduced BackupPC to my office almost two years ago and we have been very pleased with it. It is very customizable. We mostly use the rsync method and have a custom trigger to kick off the database dumps before the backups begin. Here are some stats from this morning showing our space savings:
There are 50 hosts that have been backed up, for a total of:

  *   450 full backups of total size 12316.49GB (prior to pooling and compression),
  *   443 incr backups of total size 957.56GB (prior to pooling and compression).

  *   Pool is 1348.57GB comprising 3823754 files and 4369 directories (as of 8/23 18:42),
So we're achieving about 90% storage efficieincy. Granted these systems are all the same flavor of Linux with similar configs, so this is kind of an ideal case and doesn't show a typical scenerio.
I haven't used this for Windows either so can't speak to that. I'm excited to try the 4.x branch but we'll wait for the next hardware refresh.

After ssh keys are enabled and a list of excluded files are determined the only other significant challenge I've encountered has been ssh dropping out during extended idle periods, which I recently solved by creating a `config` file under the .ssh directory on the server with ServerAliveInterval and TCPKeepAlive settings. I'm glad to offer help if anyone is interested in giving it a spin.

-Mike