[Cialug] Email server

chris rheinherren c.rheinherren at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 08:14:46 CDT 2017

I believe port 25 has been blocked on Mediacom:

In an effort to provide security for Mediacom’s e-mail platform and
protection for those customers that take advantage of the service, Mediacom
strongly discourages the use of port 25 for e-mail communication. Although
port 25 is the default communication port for older 3rd party e-mail
clients, it is generally accepted that a large percentage of the port 25
communication used today is solely for the propagation of e-mail spam or
the further spread of malicious software.

Customers who are using 3rd party e-mail clients, such as Outlook or Mac
Mail, on port 25 may experience the inability to send an e-mail. This is
generally an indication that their e-mail address or IP has been flagged by
either Mediacom’s internal security software or the recipients e-mail
service has detected a compromised message attempt and prevented the
delivery of the e-mail.