[Cialug] Next Meeting 4/19 - Sudoers and Auditd

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Mon Apr 17 11:02:57 CDT 2017

Ooh, I wish I could be there for this meeting topic.  I recently set up a VPN on my DigitalOcean VPS using OpenVPN and RSA key pairs to fix a Netflix problem.*  I also use SSH tunnels to let me access a mysql database from my phone when I want to add or delete an email alias when I'm away from my computer.

I like having a couple of VPNs available if at all possible.  One using the standard ports and UDP and one using port 443 and TCP (this one will generally get you out of a network that tries to clumsily block VPN traffic, but TCP is a bad choice for VPN traffic and can suffer from performance issues).

Have fun!

-- Matt

* - I was trying to download a series to my phone for offline viewing on my 75/20 Mbps connection, but was barely getting 300 KB/s when it was working, and it kept stalling for long periods of time.  After setting up the VPN and trying again, I was getting 3~5 MB/s.  This showed me that either my ISP is limiting Netflix traffic or they had set up their own Netflix proxy server that has serious performance issues.  Either way, routing my phone's traffic through the VPN got me around my ISP's throttling or performance issues.  I also found that temporarily routing my whole LAN's traffic through the VPN (thank god for OpenVPN+dd-wrt) would fix some of the random connection issues we were having when using the chromecast to watch Netflix on the TV.

Sent from my android device.