[Cialug] Ubuntu kills Unity, Mir, phone, and tablets

Adam Hill adam at diginc.us
Wed Apr 5 17:19:09 CDT 2017

Not sure what makes you think ubuntu locks people in, I'm pretty sure you
can have multiple windows managers and switch at will.  The different
derivatives for ubuntu are more of a starting windows managers.  Sort of a
response to : "I don't want to have to customize packages right after a
fresh install to have my favorite WM".  You can install ubuntu-server if
you want and manually install your favorite WM for a similar amount of
customization effort, maybe less.

The unity-greeter / login screen is another set of packages / effort to
replace, totally separate from replacing the windows manager too.  Pretty
sure you're not locked into that either but I've never been bothered to try
to replace it.

Back on topic though, I think this is a good thing!  Gnome3 is real slick.
Unity was slick when it worked...but it often didn't in practice.  MATE is
an awesome Gnome2 fork if you guys haven't tried it check it out too.