[Cialug] Using Openssl to test Protocol and Cipher Suites

Kelly Slaugh KSlaugh at Studentloan.org
Fri Sep 30 14:29:00 CDT 2016

Is there a command to use with openssl that gives all available Protocols and Cipher Suites? Kind of like what https://ssllabs.com will do?

I've used the command...

Openssl s_client -connect www.mywebsite.com:443

However that only gives me what I'm currently connecting with, not what I could connect with. Trying to get a Cipher Suite and Protocol string that only allows certain Cipher Suites with only TLS1.2. I don't want any Cipher Suite that TLS1.2 can use only specific ones.

My string looks like this...

ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:!SSLv2:!SSLv3:!TLSv1:!TLSv1_1:!ADH:!MD5:!RC4:!DES:!NULL:!EXP:!LOW

~Rabid_gerbil

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this e-mail message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifies and with authority, states them to be the views of Iowa Student Loan.