[Cialug] Raspberry Pi HDMI issue

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Sep 29 14:32:06 CDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 2:17 PM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Sep 2016, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
>
> > The CanaKit power supply that I linked to earlier has worked well with
> > myPi 3 and the official 7" touchscreen, although I haven't tried
> > attachingany USB peripherals to it yet.
>
> Are you saying your touchscreen does not have an independent power supply?
> If so, perhaps it got lost in the packaging? A USB port definitely is NOT
> designed to power a remote display.

The power supply is plugged into the touchscreen, then I have a short
right-angle USB cable that connects the touchscreen to the Pi3. This is the
cable that I use (I think, I'd have to go home to double-check):

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0122JGPY6

It's a little bit of a tight fit but it works. The official 7" touch screen
does not ship with a power supply. As an aside, the PiMoroni case for the
official touchscreen is very nice as well. Other touchscreens probably work
differently - I wouldn't know as I've never used any.

--
Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.