[Cialug] ionic

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Sep 27 21:03:36 CDT 2016

Yes, I use Ionic. ionic and Appcelerator are quite different. They both use Javascript and from there they have pretty much nothing in common.

Appcelerator uses javascript to script native components. Ionic is kind of like a specialized web browser that shows a web app built with Angular and some of Ionic’s helpers. Ionic uses Cordova under the hood so most Cordova plugins work perfectly with it.

If you like HTML, CSS and Angular, Ionic is a great choice. Now that Nitro is available to web controls on iOS Ionic can have speed fast enough to compete with most native apps (Android has had this benefit for a while since it’s web control wasn’t crippled).

Both allow you to make native apps for multiple platforms with a single code base.
--
Matthew Nuzum