[Cialug] POE & Switches

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Fri Oct 28 14:25:00 CDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Josh More <jmore at starmind.org> wrote:

> Nope.
>
> You can't pull out more power than you put in.  So if you feed 15 Watts to
> power a four port switch, and it has to provide 4x15 = 60 Watts out, it's
> just not going to work.

That's assuming that the remote ports provide PoE. But even if they didn't,
a non-PoE port requires some power to do it's thing and the power you get
from upstream just isn't enough for more than a couple of non-PoE ports.

I did find out that NetGear has a 5 port PoE powered switch, but I find it
hard to imagine a scenario where that would really be useful.

https://amzn.com/B00J8NAWZ8

--
Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.