[Cialug] Can't Edit Permissions on NFS Share

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 16:27:47 CDT 2016

> On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 11:13 AM, Andrew Denner <linux-list at upeke.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Do the nfs logs show any useful information?
>>
>> Also the NFS Howto section on troubleshooting may help:
>> http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/ar01s07.html#pemission_issues
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I have an NFS share exported from a remote server. It's sharing from the
>> > server with options "rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,secure". "secure"
>> > means "Allow Connections from ports below 1024". I have this share
>> mounted
>> > locally with options
>> > "rw,vers=3,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,hard,proto=tcp,
>> > timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys".
>> >
>> > Seems all good. But when I try to change permissions on a file that I
>> own I
>> > get "Permission denied". Permissions are currently 755, I am the owner,
>> and
>> > I'm changing to 775. But permission denied.
>> >
>> > I can't figure out what's going wrong where. Any suggestions?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Todd

Figured it out. The filesystem permissions had been set by an old version
of Windows. As in, Windows 2000. Apparently either Windows 2000 doesn't
properly set permissions, i.e. it's buggy, or it's using a bygone standard.
So even though the owner was UID such-and-such, permissions didn't allow a
user with that UID to actually own the files.

I would have expected that a write to NFS is a write to NFS, but I guess
I'd be wrong.

The solution was to get on the old Windows server and modify the
permissions to open it up, then the other clients could do their thing.

--
Todd